CQJP July Block

Saturday, April 7, 2012

TAST and Transfers and CQJP

I'd found a package at the second-hand shop filled with old pattern transfers and had a trip down memory lane opening them up to see all the different patterns: flowers, roses, ribbons and birds, monogram letters, kittens and puppies, assorted animals, butterflies and more. What a treasure! One of the mailing envelopes was stamped 1970, and postage then was only a nickel! I'm old enough to remember that!
Since TAST this week is the satin stitch, I decided to use one of the transfers:


It's spring, so I chose flowers and a butterfly.
I can remember these patterns embroidered on pillowcases when I was a young girl..........













After stitching, the design looks like this:




Making progress

The finished TAST. I used satin stitch on the flower, leaves, and the butterfly, and also used stem stitch, detached chain stitch, and french knots.

I enjoyed stitching this pattern.












CQJP
Thinking it might be nice to post my blocks so far, I took this pic:
  I'm considering going back to add stitching to some of the bare areas on the earlier blocks
My April block:
 The beautiful tat on the red velvet was created by my friend, Fox.  It almost disappears into the velvet, and I like that. Do you? Fox's tatting is very delicate looking, with tiny stitches, and I added a small red crystal to catch the eye.
It's a wonderful little heart motif, and repeats the hearts inside the green wreaths in the top fabric. And Christmas is all about love, isn't it?


Red rick-rack and a velvet ribbon are seam treatment starts. This block's main colour will be red, and I have heart beads and heart buttons to use!



French knots and a seam treatment over the red velvet ribbon...

'Fleur de lis ' detached chain stitches on the right and bullion stitches on the left......


chain stitch meandering on the red fabric......

I kept them all in red threads to add texture without making it seem too busy. There's more to add....



like flat red beads off the bullion stitch

I'm auditioning some flower trim, heat buttons, and tatted leaves.



Here's one red leaf tatted, but not yet stitched onto the block

I wanted to see how a white leaf would look. It sort of ties in with the white fabric above. What do you think?
Do I need to lighten it up with white leaves?

The red heart beads are being auditioned, too.










Hope everyone has a Blessed Easter.


I'll be indulging in chocolate. Will you?

I'm having company arriving shortly, and staying for the weekend, so I won't be around for a few days.......

Thanks for visiting.

Hugs from Suz








31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery work in amazing. Very pretty butterfly pattern. Wish I had the patience...

    I love the way you have combined tatting with your unique crazy quilt! The green motif looks wonderful! What a treat! Thanks.
    Fox ; ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Suz- such a wonderful find-and such a beautiful finished embroidery-I so love the colours you have used, and also on your spring-like blocks.
    Wish you a happy easter dayes.
    XO,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find & such lovely work.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suz, your Tast satin stitch is adorable and your CQ blocks are coming along nicely. Do hope you are having a very happy Easter. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many beautiful spring like pictures! Thank you....
    have a wonderful chocolate filled Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your embroidery! I never liked satin stitch as I could never get it looking as even as yours does. Have a lovely Easter with your visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a treat for me, Fox, since I get to look at it all the time! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Dorthe, hope you had a great Easter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Emma. Hope you had a Blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Dianne! We had lovely weather for Easter weekend, and Sunday lunch found us out around the lake having a picnic cook-out. Fun! Hope the Easter Bunny came hopping by your place. ;-)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did, Karen! Lots of chocolate, a cook-out, and fabric titivations! What could be better?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Janet. I think the trick with satin stitch is not to make the stitches too long and to use a laying tool to keep the threads smooth and keep them from twisting ( I used two strands).
    We all had a wonderful Easter, Thank you. Did the bunny visit you, too?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Suz ~ I want to thank you for stopping into my blog and leaving your kind post. I thought I was a follower of yours, but since I've not gotten any updates to your blog, I'm going to try again.

    Your work inspires me. Just now I can see your tatted, beaded butterfly and love it. I've not picked up my tatting needles and thread since I first tried them.

    Today I need to do some 'homecaring'. Crafting and gardening will have to wait today, except for hand watering some plants.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey FlowerLady, I hope you have a good homecaring day, and perhaps that'll free up lots of time for your stitching and tatting! Isn't it wonderful to have blogland to see what everyone is creating? The butterfly is a cute little tat and I hope the little girl who receives it will love it!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful butterfly!Your CQ blocks are amazing Susan! I love the tatted motif on the red velvete(?) fabric or is it satin?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. It's red velvet, Anita, and it was tatted by my friend, Fox. She does very fine tatting. Hope you're having a good week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have made a good start with your April block.
    The tatted heart on the velvet is lovely.
    Since you ask...I'm not sure about the white heart on the red fabric. It is...well white! too white.
    What about the other way around? Red leaves on the white fabric? The white is very light compared to the rest of the block.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Marjolein. It's good to know how other people 'see' things, isn't it? I'll keep that in mind.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your transfer pattern and stitching are absolutely lovely!!! So nice and cheery in time for spring. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for the TAST stem stitch but hopefully this evening I'll think of something. Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks JPP! I had fun with the transfer. I just started my stem stitch last night.........and hope to do a bit more this evening. Have a fun stitchy day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suz- your embroidery is stunning. You must certainly have incredible patience with your handwork---you are a master at great stitches--

    Your photos of your work are so beautiful--
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vicki. I must give credit for those pics to Picasa, though, as I use it to edit and crop.
      I am enjoying my stitching, though, much more than I had thought I would! Happy stitching!
      Hugs

      Delete
  23. The embroidery is beautiful, I also like the quilting and are you going to share those eggs with me as I didn't get any for Easter this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jill, I'm afraid most of the eggs are all gone ;-O Sorry. Thanks for your lovely comment.
      Hugs

      Delete
  24. It is always a thrill to see your lovely work Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much, Shirley! I've still got lots to learn, but I'm having fun on the journey....
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Suz, Your embroidery work is fantastic. Lovely Lovely work. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, Judy, for your lovely comment.
    Hugs and Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE!! the pillowcase embroidery...and I really like where you're taking your blocks and incorporating your tatting...I've always wanted to learn to tat because there are some tatted edgings that I just think are wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks, Susan. It was a trip down memory lane embroidering the transfer patterns. I do enjoy adding tatting to my CQ's ( and other people's, too) and it's nice to be able to tat them to fit a special area. I've been slowly collecting some edging patterns....

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!