CQJP July Block

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Inspiration Sunday November 6, 2011

Happy November!
It's not quite as cold this morning at -2C. And the sun is shining. Hope you're having sunshine, too.

The Challenge:-
card 1:-coat your paper with gesso and allow to dry thoroughly. Apply a second coat, creating texture effects. Dry, then choose a color scheme, and subject
card 2:- paint an analogous color scheme using the colors between and including red and yellow. Add a complement to one of the colors as a surprise.

This seemed a little too much like last week's challenge once I began.





dripping





spreading









textures into the gesso and printing







 1st layer of colors











the gesso dulled and lightened the colors, and I discovered that each new layer of paint I brushed onto the gesso, removed some of the paint underneath





 


adding the complement to the red: green



I added sprays of the paint colors to deepen the shades and to encourage color blending


I shall wait until this has thoroughly dried, and then I may add some inks to define areas and edges. Right now I'm feeling rather ho-hum about this painting.

 So, heres a pic of a card I sent out in the mail last week. I added tatted flowers to the plants in front. but forgot to take a pic of the finished card. Argh










 The Next Challenge:-
card 1:-  choose your favorite color, and create a painting using different hues and values of the color. Use also the color you like least.
card 2:- paint glass arranged in an interesting way.



a shot of the lake this morning

the water looks grey and cold









Hope you're having a nice Sunday!

Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

16 comments:

  1. Once again, you make me want to find some time to paint! Not this coming week but maybe the following one. I'm finishing a few things up so it might work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No time to paint at the moment, but like the ideas may come back when I have time and try some of the exercises

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cold for me for sure. Your painting looks like a lot of fun. Serene Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a fun project-must try it. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I hope you find some time to give those brushes a good workout! I'd love to see what you create!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Penny, I know this is a busy time for you with all the new foals. Hope you get to have some quiet time soon.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Createology. It could lead to lots of different options, especially with acrylics. It's going to get much colder, darn it! Hope your weekend was filled with blessings
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a lot of fun, Sandy, so I hope you do give it a go. Have a wonderful week ahead.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can't expect success very time, it's all part of the learning process. And we're never too old to learn, are we? Your lake shot is lovely - and it looks quite blue and inviting from here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Janet. You said it perfectly! And I hope I'm never too old to learn. Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had lot of fun making this piece Suz, love it, the colors are fantastic.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Anni. The colors were decided by the cards, except for the bits of green. It was a little limiting, I thought, but certainly created a 'warm' result.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy your pictures & explanations of the steps of your Sunday painting challenges. I've looked at gesso at the store a few times but have never purchased any. Looks very neat to work with.
    Pax

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is inspiring and I may just try one of your techniques in my sketchbook challenge page, Thanks for your comment, it hasn't been too bad today
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jenny. The gesso, I think, works better with acrylic or oil paints, as it tends to wash out the watercolours. I'm so glad you enjoy seeing the process, and it would be great if you painted along!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you do, Jill, and I'd love to see the results!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!