CQJP July Block

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zipper Flowers 2

I wanted to try a few different things with the zipper flowers.
here's a short, navy zipper with metal teeth and the short picot tatted chain














from the side it looks a little tight and tall











I opened up the tight zipper rounds by folding the bottom row back.











this sits nicely and has some dimension to it.
I like the soft tatted frills against the hard metal teeth












the second portion of the navy zipper with a doubled, singed organza frill creates a different flower look. I added a turquoise cracked glass bead to the center, topped with a small silver seed bead. The contrast of soft, frilly, and transparent organza against the solid navy zipper fabric and the hard, metal teeth appeal to me.












hmmm, maybe some more color?

or, some more tatting?


why not both?!


tada!



I'll be adding a pin back to create a lapel pin. I think I'll wear it to choir practice.
I wonder if anyone will notice.











I'm a member of  StitchMap, and some of our members have been affected by the fires raging in Texas. You can read all about how StitchMap is working to help, in a small way, those who have lost so much. Check it out here. Maybe you'll be able to help, too. Thank you.

Hope you have some fun, creative time today.
Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

18 comments:

  1. lovely!!! such an ingenious idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Karen! I can't take the credit, though. I took Cathy's zipper flower idea and just ran with it. Hope you're having a wonderful week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to combine zippers and tatting - the hard edge of the zipper is softened so nicely with the frilly tatting. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOre wonderful flowers-may have to dig out some zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful zipper,flowers, dear Suz- so lovely to combine the different materials.
    Hugs.
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks MA. I visualize lots of different material
    combinations to make unique zipper flowers.

    Thanks Sandy. They are fun to do.

    Dorthe, I can just picture them done with layers of cheesecloth and your beautiful laces.
    Hugs, everyone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all that you've done to your zipper flower! Very creative & you've certainly made it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your zipper flowers have turned out well and the tatting really sets them off and puts your stamp n them. Feeling for those poor folk in Texas. After our rain earlier in the year we are facing the threat of bush fires in the summer too. Hope they get all the help they need. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks JennyPennyPoppy! I tried to do the same flower shape as you did, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. I think it's the most difficult of the three 'styles' of zipper flowers I've seen. Hope you have a good evening.

    Thanks so much for your comment, Dianne. I've signed up to help. It must be horrendous to lose all one has in a few moments. I hope Texas gets some rain, and you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your zipper flowers are very unique and beautiful. The tatting really enhances the metal of the zipper. The organza and zipper with beaded center is stunning too. I have been praying for all affected in the Texas fires.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Createology for your lovely comments. I've been having fun playing with the flowers. I hope your prayers shall be answered, and Texas has enough rain to douse the fires. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous zipper flowers, Love the blue one with the fabric.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Dian and Margaret for your lovely comments. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your zipper flowers are super creative and very lovely. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your very lovely comment. If you make a dorset button I would love to see it. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Judy! I don't know how a dorset button is made, yet, but if I do make any, I'll be sure to post them. I'm so pleased you like my tatted zipper flowers. They were fun to make. I look forward to reading more of your posts now you're back. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Max. I do love the turquoise, and the multi-colored thread had just a bit of that color in it. I think they were made to go together! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!