CQJP July Block

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Inspiration Sunday

If we create, we look for inspiration. Perhaps it is found in solitude, in nature, or the bustle of the city. While we each find inspiration in our own ways, sometimes it's nice to be prodded to think past what is comfortable and familiar.
I used to paint every day, even if it was only for 10 minutes. I had a room set up so all I had to do was walk in the door, spritz my watercolours, and grab a brush. I loved it! Unfortunately, I no longer have a room set up just for painting, and, as a result, I've found myself painting less and less. I want to change that.
I have been collecting books on creativity and inspirations, and I recently purchased "The Artist's Muse" by Betsy Dillard Stroud. It has a key to " unlock the door to your creativity", and I thought it might be an adventure to begin a regular painting post using this book as my inspiration.


Besides being a book, it is also a 'game'. Three different shaped card decks provide instruction in three different areas to spark one's creativity. One might choose 1, 2 or all three cards to follow.
For my first inspiration painting, I decided to choose two cards: a rectangle and a round.  I shuffled, cut the decks, and chose the top card in each pile. The instructions from card 1 were to create a narrative painting about an issue that I am concerned about, and to use symbols and words to express my ideas.
The card from the round deck instructed me to create a high-key painting using transparent pigments only, making my focal, in the foreground, my darkest dark.
Here's what I painted:







The completed painting:
What do you think? Did I follow the instructions?


Although this work is a little different from my comfort zone, I am pleased with the result.



While creating my inspiration painting, I listened to the CD  "Boheme"  by Deep Forest

The concern I wanted to express was the destruction of the world's forests, as we are all affected by this destruction. I used written words in the painting, and the symbols were created with my hand-carved stamps: the branches of leaves, and the circle of life.


For next week, here are the directions from each card:
card 1: :- use matte medium, gesso and gel medium to texture the paper, and paint over this surface
card 2: use at least 12 pigments then glaze over some or all with a transparent wash

Maybe you'd like to play along with me in whatever medium you choose. If so, I'd love to see pics of your creations.
Thanks for visiting.
Hugs from Suz

13 comments:

  1. Suz, I love your painting.What good ideas there seem to be within the pages of your book. Having paints set up would encourage more painting, but gee it's hard to balance and have space for all the things we love to do. I find it a constant tension.oh well...that's life I guess. I hope to see more of your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finished piece is beautiful Suz.
    I had that book and I could not make any sense from it-maybe that's because I don't have an art background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly inspired! I love this painting, and the care you've taken to share in its creation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Suz,
    your painting is meaningfull, and very beautifull, the colors of yellow and reddish created the most wonderfull tones, and love the stamps handcarved-by you?
    Happy sunday.
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your painting is beautiful! I have no art background, but it looks to me like you've followed the directions. Even with the directions, I know I would never be able to create something like this. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!!! What fun!!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the wonderful comments! I'm hoping that keeping an Inspiration Sunday post will push me to paint more and more often.
    As a self-taught artist, I find I learn most by doing, and gain the confidence to try new ideas and experiment with different supplies, not only by my successes, but also my failures.( and I have a large stack of those) The hand-carved stamps are my own design, and were a lot of fun to carve. Have a great week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful result!

    I read that book YEARS ago. Bought it even. It did not resonate with me... but sure works well for you!

    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Fox and Gina for your comments. I hope I have as nice a result on next weeks' challenge. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love other arts and crafts besides tatting. And I have painted in the past, too. The technique you have used is very interesting and your final result is wonderful! I'll have to look for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Linda! So far, it's proving helpful in the inspiration department.I found the book at Chapters. Your tatted journal cover is fantastic! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh ,I see,I found my answer.I would like to find something like that-wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!